Fire in wall extinguished

TUPPER LAKE – The Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department extinguished a wall fire in a Park Street residence Monday night.

Two trucks and 37 members responded to Jeff and Barbara Silman’s 30 Park St. residence at 7:36 p.m. and found smoke coming from the basement when they arrived on scene, and when they entered the home, they found a wall on fire in the basement, according to a press release from the department.

Firefighters opened up the wall and used about 100 gallons of water to knock down the fire, then used exhaust fans to clear smoke from the three-story home.

The only damage was the wall that had to be knocked out, fire Chief Mark Picerno told the Enterprise this morning.

According to the press release, preliminary investigation pointed to thawing frozen water pipes with a torch as the probable cause of the fire.

Firefighters were back in service at 8:50 p.m.