Fire damages chick house at North Country School

LAKE PLACID – Firefighters fought a structure fire at North Country School this morning.

The fire damaged a building known as the chick house, where baby chickens are raised until they can be moved to another space, according to John Culpepper, the school’s director of facilities and sustainability.

“We don’t know what the loss was,” he said. “The building seems to be relatively intact. … It could have been much worse. We dodged a bullet with this one.”

The Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department responded to the blaze, while Saranac Lake sent manpower and a pumper truck to cover the Lake Placid firehouse.

No additional information was immediately available as of press time.

Contact Chris Morris at 891-2600 ext. 25 or cmorris@adirondackdailyenterprise.com.