Wild Center sugar shack has chimney fire

TUPPER LAKE – The Wild Center’s sugar shack caught fire Wednesday afternoon, but the blaze was quickly extinguished.

The Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department got a report of a structure fire at 2:06 p.m. and sent two trucks and 19 members to the site of the natural history museum off Hosley Avenue.

“It started a small fire on the ceiling that was pretty much out upon our arrival,” said fire driver Joe Cormier Jr.

They found that the blaze was largely based in the chimney, Cormier said.

He said firefighters used about 50 gallons of water to wet down some boards that were charred, checked out the ceiling, and cleaned out a wood stove. Firefighters were back in service at 2:45 p.m.

There were no injuries.