U-19 ruggers advance to states

The Adirondack boys and girls under-19 rugby team earned a sweep over Kingston on Sunday, and by winning, both squads qualified for the New York state championship tournament being held in Rochester over Memorial Day weekend.

The matches were played in Albany at Dick Greene Field, and the Adirondack boys triumphed 31-14 while the girls claimed a 15-12 win to remain undefeated.

In the boys match, Adirondack raced out to a 19-0 lead and never looked back. Joe Atkinson scored the first try of the day on a pick and go. Adirondack’s second try was scored by Kevin Morgan. Troy Scsigulinsky tacked on two points on the conversion kick for a 12-0 Adirondack edge. Nick Sweeney followed with a try on a feed from T.J. Monroe and Scsigulinsky notched another conversion kick to give Adirondack a 19-0 lead at the half.

Flanker Michael Wutkee scored early in the second half to put Kingston on the board and James Algerin was good on the conversion to make it a 19-7 score. Monroe then reached the try zone for Adirondack on a Morgan assist, and Morgan then followed with two points on the conversion to put Adirondack in command with a 26-7 lead. Algrerin picked up a try and conversion to round out the scoring for Kingston, and Morgan ended the game with a 60 yard run as Adirondack’s boys earned their second straight win.


Despite losing two players to injuries during their match and playing the second half shorthanded, the Adirondack girls were able to get by Kingston in a tight contest.

Adirondack led 10-0 at half and then held off Kingston after intermission. Katelyn Hewitt came up big for the winners, scoring all 15 of Adirondack’s points in the victory.

Sheila Decker drove the ball in on a penalty play to the five-meter line and hit Hewitt to set up the first try, and Hewitt scored again after stealing the ball from a loose ruck to give Adirondack its halftime edge. Injuries toward the end of the first half knocked two Adirondack players from the match, which forced the team to compete a man down for the rest of the game.

Kingston finally got on the board after breaking through a tough Adirondack defense led by Haleigh Morgan and Gillian McLean. Kingston scored when fly half Sara Lanadan broke through the line and scored a try to make it a 10-5 contest. But Hewitt, the Adirondack scrum, answered right back with her third try of the day. Kingston tacked on a try and a conversion late in the game to make it a 15-12 final score.