Alice M. Bellaire (updated services time)
Alice Munn Bellaire, 88, formerly of Saranac Lake, died Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2013, at Meadowbrook Nursing Home in Plattsburgh.
Born in Saranac Lake on Dec. 13, 1924, she was the daughter of Arthur and Hazel (Parks) Garwood.
She married John M. Munn on Dec. 21, 1942, and was predeceased by him in 1974. She later married Dr. Richard P. Bellaire, MD on April 9, 1976, in Batavia and was also predeceased by him.
Alice was a born in Saranac Lake, and during World War II she had been employed by General Electric in Rochester, working on the manufacture of starters for B-17 bombers. In later years she worked as a home health aide in Batavia, and as a waitress at Schroeder’s restaurant in Saranac Lake and at the Red Door restaurant at Ampersand Bay. She was a member of the Saranac Lake Womens Civic Chamber, Franklin County Heart Association and the Saranac Lake BPOE 1508 Women of the Elks. She enjoyed many outdoor activities including hiking, boating and fishing. She also enjoyed many years of bowling at the Saranac Lanes.
She is survived by four sons: John “Tony” Munn and his wife Deborah of Saranac Lake, Michael Munn and his wife Diann of Saranac Lake, Garwood Munn and his wife Ann of Bloomingdale and James Munn and his wife Kathy of Saranac Lake; two daughters: JoAnne Fountain and her husband John of Malone and Marilyn Smythe Hyman and her husband Monte of Houston, Texas; one brother-in-law, Robert Munn and his wife Pat of Plattsburgh; 18 grandchildren; 11 great- grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
Alice was predeceased by her parents and two brothers, John Garwood of Charlottesville, Va., and Kenneth Garwood of Saranac Lake.
Funeral arrangements are in care of the Fortune-Keough Funeral Home in Saranac Lake. A memorial service is set to take place at 3 p.m. Saturday Nov. 9 at the First Presbyterian Church in Saranac Lake with the Rev. Joanne White officiating. A reception will follow the memorial service in the First United Methodist Church Hall. Burial will take place in St. Bernard’s Cemetery.