Fire destroys Tupper Lake home

TUPPER LAKE – A fire destroyed Rob and Lisa Gillis’ home at 49 Byrum Road Sunday evening.

Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department Chief Carl Steffen said the alarm came in at 4:19 p.m. and the fire was well underway when fire crews arrived.

“Upon arrival, there was heavy smoke and flames showing from the ridge of the main part of the house, and the roof had already collapsed,” Steffen said. “There was an addition on the house that was fully involved, and it spread into the main part.”

Firefighters returned to the station at about 10:30 p.m. but returned to the scene 20 minutes later after receiving a call that the addition on the house had reignited.

Steffen’s conversation with the Enterprise was cut short at 7:30 this morning when he received a call that the house had rekindled once again.

Steffen said the Franklin County Cause and Origin team determined that the blaze began in a mechanical room in the basement where there was an electrical box, freezer, gun safe and a stovepipe for a woodstove.

“They couldn’t rule out the stovepipe, but they did eliminate the electrical as the cause,” Steffen said.

Steffen said all that remains is three walls in the main part of the house and one wall in the addition. The roofs on the main part of the house, the addition and the attached garage all collapsed.

No one but the dog was home when the fire broke out. The dog was rescued and uninjured.

The Piercefield, Paul Smiths-Gabriels, Lake Placid and Long Lake volunteer fire departments and the Company 5 Retired Firefighters team all assisted in fighting the blaze. The Cranberry Lake Volunteer Fire Department stood by at the Tupper Lake station.

The Tupper Lake rescue squad also stood by at the scene. The Piercefield fire department Ladies Auxiliary provided food and beverages to the fire crews.