Tupper Lake home damaged by fire

TUPPER LAKE – Tupper Lake Volunteer Fire Department members kept a fire contained to the living room of a home on 44 Mitchell Lane Sunday.

First Assistant Fire Chief Royce Cole said about 30 volunteers arrived on the scene at 1:05 p.m.

“The fire originated on the wall behind the woodstove (in the living room),” Cole said. “It had burnt that wall and extended to the ceiling, but we contained it. There’s extensive fire, water and smoke damage in the living room.”

Cole said it hasn’t been officially determined that the woodstove is responsible for the blaze, but he still cautioned homeowners to keep their woodstoves clean and maintained to reduce the potential for fire.

The Piercefield Volunteer Fire Department provided assistance, and the Paul Smith’s-Gabriels Volunteer Fire Department also responded but was sent back because the fire was contained when they arrived.

The Long Lake Volunteer Fire Department was on call at the Tupper Lake fire house.