Arson suspect turns herself in

LAKE PLACID – A young woman charged with arson drove back here from Kentucky and turned herself in to authorities Sunday night.

State police say Stephanie Brier, 19, formerly of Lake Placid, tried to light her next-door neighbor’s trailer on fire with a beer can full of lighter fluid on May 26, 2012. The incident took place at 54 Edgewood Way in the Cascade Acres Mobile Home Park in the town of North Elba, just outside the village of Lake Placid. Brier was 18 at the time of the incident.

Police said a family was asleep inside the mobile home at the time of the early morning blaze, but no one was injured. The fire damaged the outside of the home’s structure, and there was some smoke damage on the inside. Police said at the time they believed an accelerant was used to start the fire.

Police say Brier and another, younger teenage girl committed the crime. That girl was arrested on Jan. 15, 2013, at the age of 14. Her name wasn’t released due to her youth, and while her case has been disposed through family court, the outcome is not public information since she is a juvenile, according to state police Investigator Jonathan Garrow.

Both suspects were charged with second-degree arson, a class B felony.

Brier and her father Trever Brier, who had an unrelated warrant for felony driving while intoxicated in Lake Placid, left the state shortly after the fire, according to state police.

Police located Stephanie Brier after receiving tips through Facebook. Both she and her father were found living in Bowling Green, Ky.

The New York State Police post warrants on their Facebook page every Wednesday. Stephanie Brier’s warrant was posted on March 19.

“When we posted her warrant on Facebook, we received calls saying, ‘We know where she is,'” state police Troop B spokeswoman Jennifer Fleishman said Monday. “Her and her dad both agreed to drive here and turn themselves in.”

Stephanie Brier was booked into the Essex County Jail in Lewis on Sunday after a North Elba town judge sent her there without bail.

Trever Brier, 41, turned himself in to the Lake Placid Police Department Sunday for the DWI charge and was also sent to the county jail. Both remained there Monday afternoon.