History of the Lake Placid Sinfonietta
The history of Lake Placid is pretty much the history of the Lake Placid Club founded by Melville Louis Kossuth Dewey – Dec. 10, 1851- Dec. 26, 1931. With a moniker like that one it is no wonder he wanted to reform the English language.
Dewey founded the Spelling Reform Association in 1886 and changed the spelling of his name to Melvil and for a time changed his surname to Dui. It is unfortunate that he did not live to see the 1932 Olympic Winter Games. His son, Godfrey, went to Europe in1928 as the only member of the organizing committee and secured the 1932 games.
The Club already had a hockey team, a curling team and a ski jump on the golf course before there were any winter games, held for the first time in Chamonix, France in 1924.
So with that illustration of the “Club Notes” above we will publish excerpts from those notes in the Simpler speling advocated by Dr. Dewey. Sometimes the same word is spelled differently in the text of the notes but how would the poor proof-reader know if was a typo or not and pity the Club secretaries who had to do the typing.
“The Kuntz septet chosen from the Boston Symfony orkestra wil begin at the Club the day after the last Boston popular consert of the orkestra, by common consent the finest musical organizafn in America and the peer of any in the world. Daniel Kuntz, the new Club music director was for 33 years one of the leadin first violins of this famus orchestra. When he resynd two years ago to avoid the travelin incident to the consert trips, he was the only man who had playd thruout the 33 years.
“For years he was also the 5th man when the renownd Kneisel string quartet playd quintets. For 22 years he was music director for Poland Springs hous, which under his guidans achievd a wide reputafn for music far abuv the usual resort standards. Knowin each of the 100 the seven that wil together giv the best results. We have greatly wisht to ad a bass, wood wind and a second violin, but our apropriafn wud not allow. A life member has generously dubld the amount regularly voted by the finance committee for the annual music bujet on condifn that we have a Boston symphony septet for 1917.
“Tho the very larj music lyybrari shipt 2 weeks ahed from Boston was delayed three days, the extemporyzd lybrari pruvd adequate to win from all the musical experts the verdict; ‘the best orkestra ever in northern N Y’. It draws the larjest and most aprefiativ audienses also, but stranje to say there ar many who wud eagerly by tikets at $2 each if they cud hear 7 artists pikt from the world’s greatest simfoni orchestra, yet who fail to enjoy the rare privilej free to all club members and their gests when these very men ar playin two or three tyms every day.
“SILENS DURIN CONSERTS – Lakesyd muzic room and piazza south of the curtain wer bilt for a lectur and consert room. The peopl who furnift its cost wer plejd that it shud be treated with the same respect az an audiens room in a city. When in use for muzic or speakers, muvin about or conversafn is no more allowabl than in a city consert room where the polise wud promptly exclude anyone who so disregarded all ryts of both speaker or artists and audiens.”
[Remember that all printed material at the Club was in simpler speling, including the menus. It has been said that Club members could hardly read when they returned home after spending the summer at the Club. After they 8 many were probably surprised to get stak instead of cak 4 dessert.]