Driver suffers medical condition, dies in Broadway crash

SARANAC LAKE – A pickup truck driver died Monday morning after he apparently suffered a medical condition while he was behind the wheel and crashed into a stone wall on the side of Broadway.

The driver, a male in his 60s whose name has yet to be released pending notification of next of kin, was pronounced dead at Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake, village police Sgt. Geoff Carmichael told the Enterprise.

“It appears he was having some type of medical emergency” at the time of the crash, Carmichael said.

John LaPier was driving his Time Warner Cable repair truck south on Broadway behind the light blue GMC Sierra pickup when he said it drove off the road between Garden Street and Prospect Avenue, just before E&M Market.

“He just jumped the curb, went over the sidewalk and went right into the wall,” LaPier said. “He skidded all the way down the wall. I pulled up (next to E&M) and jumped out, then ran over and called 911.”

LaPier said he knocked on the window and the driver, who was still buckled in his seat, appeared to be suffering some kind of medical condition.

“It looked like he had a seizure because he was shaking really bad,” said Scott Gregware, who also witnessed the crash and stopped to help.

Saranac Lake Volunteer Rescue Squad personnel responded, pulled the driver from the truck and started CPR on him on the sidewalk. The driver was then lifted onto a stretcher and brought into the back of an ambulance parked in the middle of Broadway, which was blocked off from traffic. The ambulance left the scene about 10 to 15 minutes later, headed toward Adirondack Medical Center in Saranac Lake.

Carmichael said the crash knocked a couple of blocks off the wall but caused minimal damage to it and the truck.

The Saranac Lake Volunteer Fire Department responded at 9:54 a.m. with six members and one truck. Firefighters assisted the rescue squad and performed traffic control with vehicles being detoured off Broadway and onto Garden Street and Prospect Avenue. They were back in service at 10:20 a.m.